Yesterday was one of those days that make people say "THIS is why I live in Seattle." When the sun comes out, there is no more beautiful place (unless it is at the ocean, of course)
I took advantage of the sun and dry weather and went out to Rattlesnake Lake to do a little walking/hiking. Me and about 300 other people. Note to self: don't go out to RS late in the afternoon on a sunny warm day--especially on a holiday weekend. There were people ALL OVER the place...even though the lake is still high, even little tiny bits of exposed shoreline had been co-opted, sometimes with only room for a folding chair. But, I wasn't there to swim, or sun--I was there to hike.
I hiked the length of the lake, and then I went a short distance up the trail to the ledge, mainly because I hadn't come prepared to hike all that way and certainly wasn't going to do it solo (although there were so many people on the trail it felt as busy as downtown). There were still stretches of the trail where it was empty and quiet and more what I had come to enjoy.
Occasionally the sun would come at just the right angle through all the trees and illuminate just one branch of a Doug Fir, making it glow in the dark shade.
And I don't care how many times I see it---just a glimpse of that jade green water through the underbrush just makes my heart sing. I mean--LOOK at the color of the water!!!
Of course, I managed to find a Magic Window, too (AKA a puddle)
And there, by the side of the trail, completely unexpected, was a daylily! How on earth did that get there? This isn't a wild daylily--this is a cultivar. The yellow blossoms were like sundrops amidst all the greenery.
And, as a perfect end of the day, "our" mountain caught the sun against the clouds. Gorgeous! I am so blessed to live where I do.
8 comments:
A beautiful location for a hike, and I know exactly what you mean about when the sun rays beam down an opening in the forest - its always breath-taking.
And we are blessed to see it as you did! Thank you for sharing the glorious-ness! I feel almost like I was there, experiencing the hush of the shaded trail and the "Ooooh!" of the lake color; sans sore muscles and frustrations re. humanity. Thanks for offering up the Best Parts.
Very pretty!
Wow! Such gorgeous views!!!!!!!!!
Goodness, Pat! These pictures are pure music with a fantastic crescendo as we look from one to the next. What a beautiful spot. I can see why you love it!
Gorgeous! I love how the light filters through the trees! And I agree, Washington is one of the most beautiful states I have ever seen!
I would so love to go on a hike with your Pat!! You are so lucky to live so close to such beauty!
Thanks the tour of the Pacific Northwest...your pictures and accompanying words provided an excellent description. I need to make a trip up that way!
Post a Comment