Thursday, July 21, 2011

A weed by any other name

 This is Cow Parsnip, or Indian Celery, a weed that grows around here.  It is like giant Queen Anne's Lace--the heads are much bigger (up to dinner-plate size) and the plant is much taller, up to 6 1/2'.  I caught this one while out on Camano Island on one of our few sunny days.  This is before the flowerets open up....
...and the seed pods, before they have dried out.

6 comments:

Tracie said...

It's pretty I think, especially for a weed :) And now I know it's name, thanks Pat!

Barb C said...

My weeds are not nearly that pretty. Very nice!

Yolanda said...

Very nice! Pretty weed.

Reds said...

You amaze me with your knowledge of plants!! Such a pretty weed!

Angela2932 said...

Pat, I love how your first is framed against the background! Very nicely done!

Amanda said...

You even make weeds look artistic! We have a lot of Queens Ann Lace around here, but I've seen that.