I've always gotten a kick out of my DD, L. She personifies the attitude of "Go big or go home." If she is going to undertake a project, she goes at it full steam ahead and does it to the max. For those of you who read this blog, remember the Christmas project from 2 years ago that I got drafted into helping her finish before Christmas? A small little felt playhouse? (http://frenchfotos.blogspot.com/2010/01/whats-christmas-without-project.html) Yep--go big or go home. There is no such thing as a little project.
So, fast forward to last Christmas, when she asked me to take home her Advent calendar and spruce it up a little. She has the Advent calendar that I made in 1979 or 1980 for her when she was an itty-bitty, and over the years, and through the loving ministrations of her 3 girls, it has gotten a little bedraggled and was missing some ornaments. So I brought it home and started looking over what needed to be done. Not bad--sew down a little trim, and make a couple of ornaments.
Then the Go Big or Go Home Syndrome struck. "As long as I have to make some new ornaments, why don't I just make a whole new Advent calendar and redesign it so it has the 3 girls on it? I might as well design a few new ornaments while I am at it, too."
And I wonder where she gets her Over-Acheiver Syndrome.... I've never thought of it as going big or going home; I just think if you're going to do a job, do it right!
So, here in all it's glory is the new Advent calendar and new ornaments. I am so proud of myself that it is finished long before the holidays and I can take it with me when I go visit, so they have it in time.







9 comments:
I love the infectious 'go big or go home' and absolutely adore your Advent calendar.
This is so neat. We always had the Advent calendars with candy. Using the ornaments from one tree to decorate the other, would be a neat progression towards Christmas. I like the little stool the girl is standing on...nice attention to detail!
That is FABULOUS Pat. And I can't believe you got it done in July. Makes me wish I was that handy. I have taken up crochet this summer and am working on a scarf for the kid for Hanukkah. Hopefully I'll complete it in time!
This is soooo adorable! Yeah, I wonder where DDL gets it?
I feel privileged to have seen it up close and personal whilst in the making! I love that you blogged about this, well, BIG project!
Wow! That is amazing! I know your granddaughters are going to love it!
Wow!!!! That is gorgeous!!! You are not only an awesome photographer - you are an amazing crafter!!
Way to go on your project and having it done so early! My mother-in-law has a similar advent calendar and the kids always love it.
Thanks for the info about Liquid Fence, too. :)
Oh my gosh, that is absolutely fabulous! Have they seen it yet? I want to hear their reactions. You've created a true masterpiece!
Post a Comment