I guess my answer to the age-old question is "FINALLY!" We have had such a long wet cold spring and summer that everything is really delayed. Saturday and Sunday last week were sunny and warm, and that was just the invitation that everything needed to start appearing. I'm even getting some visitors that AREN'T furry and antlered.
My hosta are blooming--several varieties, with different colored blossoms, but all delicate and lovely.
This crazy variety of Shasta daisy is blooming profusely. I can't remember the variety name (I've had these a long time) but I call them Shreddies because they look like the petals went through a paper shredder.
And my astrantia is blooming! I love these---they open up tinged with pink, and age down to white. They have such a delicate open center that is just fascinating. And, the good (or bad, depending on how you view it) thing about astrantia is that it is a prolific grower. A little 6" pot I put in 2 years ago is now as big around as I can reach with my arms....AND it self seeds!! I get all these new plants for free! Love that part of gardening. I have a really hard time weeding out and throwing away the volunteers sometimes, but as in the case of my promiscuous columbine Nora Barlow, I just have to steel myself and do it.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get up with some of the daylilies and early dahlias that are blooming. I will be incommunicado for a bit, but will be back with lots of shots!


3 comments:
I love your hostas! I am so glad that we bought those astrantia starts together; each year I have been astounded by their increase. Plus, some of my best macro pics have been of my astrantia. Mine is the size of an arm-chair shrub! I love your in-your-face shot of it!
One shredded daisy doesn't tell a big story, but boy, what an impact when you see it together with a bunch of others! Beautiful! I just spent some time in Nicki's blog gushing about your photography, but it's all true. I think your photography should be celebrated in important magazines. You are truly talented.
You have the most beautiful garden! Love that shredded daisy - will have to try to find some to plant in my garden next year!
Post a Comment