Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pleated Pretties

Kalmia, or Mountain Laurel.  Aren't these buds amazing?  They are so sculpted! 
These are blooming in the neighborhood; a different variety than the one above at the Botanic Garden, but still just as structurally amazing.  I love the bi-colored blossom.

                                                   

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Mountain laurel is the state flower of Pennsylvania. It grows wild in the mountains where I grew up and is illegal to pick or transplant. Sorry for the random state factoid ;) The flowers on those are white though. Yours look like piped flowers on cupcakes!

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely! They look like they are made of frosting :)

Reds said...

They look like little cookies (guess I am hungry this morning!) - love the pink!

Angela2932 said...

How wonderfully appealing! I don't think I've ever seen laurel in real life. I'm glad I didn't look at this post closer to lunch time, based on the previous comments, so that I wouldn't also want to eat them!

Regina said...

Looks like something that would be right at home in my garden!

Jill said...

Wow! Those look like they're made of icing!

Jill said...

Oh and look - I thought the same thing as Beth!