Towards the end of our San Juan ramble, we ended up in Roche Harbor up on the northwest side of San Juan Island. It is a small village with a large marina, and is considered one of the best harbors in the western US. We found a charming (actually, everything in this little village is charming...) restaurant and enjoyed lunch sitting out on the deck, overlooking the marina and all that money sitting in the water.
The marina post office, so those who come and stay for quite a while have a way to get mail.
An outdoor crafts market. These are so much better than tents!
This is Our Lady of Good Voyage Chapel, the only privately owned Catholic Church in the US. It was built in 1892 as a Methodist church, and a circuit ride minister would perform services there; then the church was used as a schoolhouse during the week. In 1960 it was purchased by the Catholic church.
Roche Harbor started out as a company town for lime production, with large lime pits and lime kilns nearby. This is a detail from one of the lime kilns left standing as a reminder of the past.
And...just a little detail from a madrona tree with its ever-peeling bark. This just looked so abstract, and I love the colors! The bright lime green under the reddish smooth bark just sings.
The ferry ride home was splendid--clear skies, sunshine, smooth sailing, and Mt. Baker was hovering on the horizon. Bliss.







6 comments:
All of these are awesome. It's hard to pick a favorite! I really love the outdoor market houses and the church! Great shots --all of them!
Bliss looking at your photos Pat! Wow!
What a fun place! I can't pick a favorite either but I feel like I've just gone on a small virtual vacation - thanks, I needed that!
Gorgeous photos! I've been there and it is spectacular! Love the close up of the tree.
These are spectacular! I love the details you captured and the clear reflections in the water. Definitely wall-worthy!
These are all so appealing! I really like 2, 3 and 4! I love the reflection on the water!
Post a Comment