Monday, August 16, 2010

Lighting the Way

Have I mentioned lately how much I love lighthouses?  I think it comes from growing up on the coast of Lake Michigan, with lighthouses all around me.  They symbolize safety and security and steadfastness.  And, of course, the fact that they are near large bodies of water (my most favorite thing in the world) doesn't hurt either. 

This is the lighthouse on San Juan Island at Lime Kiln State Park.  This vantage point is a popular spot for watching for whales.  There are usually orca in the area, but not the day we were there.


However, the sea kayakers were out and about, enjoying the sun, the warmth, and the calm waters off the island.  Sure looks like fun!

7 comments:

Sherri Auld said...

So very beautiful.

Nicki said...

The lighthouse and rocky cliff side is stunning.

Joanne said...

I grew up close to the Marblehead lighthouse. Love that second shot!

Anonymous said...

Those are so beautiful. I have never actually been to a lighthouse in person!

Samantha said...

Beautiful shots!

Reds said...

That is one beautiful lighthouse! Lighthouses for me reminds me of Summer, vacation and hot weather! :)

Regina said...

You really have an eye for these "postcard" shots. No one does them better than you. My daughter just spent a week in Luddington and was able to visit a lighthouse. I was so jealous!