Monday, August 23, 2010

Mt. Rainier views and flowers

Sometimes the blue haze on distant objects is a negative in a photograph; sometimes, it's just what you were hoping for.  I love blue hills/mountains that go on forever....

Mt. Rainier from Sunrise, with the most spectacular clouds swirling around.

A view from Lake Tipsoo.  I think that's the Governor Range in front of Rainier.

An overview of Lake Tipsoo with Rainier in the background.  Too bad it was breezy--the breeze felt delightful, but it sure played havoc with reflections!

A few of the wildflowers around Tipsoo.  The vivid pink ones are Magenta Paintbrush, with a few Broadleaf Lupine lurking nearby.  The yellow daisy-like blooms are (I think) Broadleaf Arnica, with a lone Subalpine Daisy way over to the left, just getting ready to open.

This little Flutterby was kind enough to land and pose on a Sitka Valerian--I couldn't get over his beautiful blue color and how well he co-ordinated with the lupine in the background!!  Between his skittishness and the breeze I had to shoot quickly.

This delicate beauty is Rockslide Larkspur, and that's just where it was located, amongst rocks cascading down a sunny hillside.  It looked so fragile among all the rocks and boulders.

4 comments:

Julie said...

These are beautiful Pat! If it weren't such a drive I'd go out there more often.

Samantha said...

Oh, Pat, those are all incredible! The blues in the first one are simply unbelievable!

Maria said...

Pat - These pictures are gorgeous. I wanted to break out in song: "The hills are alive . . . with the sound of music . . . (insert Julie Andrew's voice here) . . . "

All kidding aside, these truly are beautiful photos!

Yolanda said...

Absolutely stunning photos! What a gorgeous place to photograph! I could almost feel the crisp breeze and smell the fresh air looking at these