Hellebores are also called Christmas Rose or Lenten Rose. They bloom from December to March or April, sometimes to May. I have some blooming in my garden right now. They like dry shade, and aren't eaten by deer (insert large smiley face here), as well as having tough serrated leaves, so the deer leave them alone. The newer varieties, like this one, have upward facing flowers, so are much more pleasant to have in the garden, since the old-fashioned hellebores bloom downward, and the only things to enjoy the blooms are slugs. Isn't this one gorgeous? Look at that color! I may have to go back to the nursery and bite the bullet and get this! (I saw these at the nursery a few weeks ago..photos by Pentax)
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
Absolutely beautiful. Love the color of these. Such an interesting-looking center, too!
These are so pretty. We have the kind that bloom down and they aren't blooming yet.Your pix are making me anxious to see ours.
Well, I'm sorry Pat but these are so sub-standard. Please go back to the nursery where you shot these and bring your Nikon instead. HAHAH! Beautiful as always. You are right, the color is stunning and I love the heartiness of it too!
Beautiful Pat! Love your color too! I saw those upwards facing ones at Molbaks earlier this year. If I had room for some more I would have been all over them!
Absolutely Gorgeous!!!! You are still my inspiration. Your photos are like a breath of fresh air. Simply Gorgeous!!!!
There is such a wealth of photographic opportunities at your favorite nursery. These are beautiful.
Yes it is gorgeous. The colors are wonderful and I love the shape :)
Oh, wow, Pat! How did you past these by? Yes, go back to the nursery, and buy them. . . . and give us another peek at them.
Beautiful! I love the color varigation in them.
Oh yes! You need these! They are gorgeous- I especially love the anemone-like center!
One of my favorite flowers, miss them now that I am in the desert.
They are such a pretty flower. I just love the color of them.
Beautiful shots Pat!
Absolutely gorgeous Pat!
Post a Comment