Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Tip of the Catkin Cap to Spring

An early, early indicator that Spring hasn't forgotten.  We are having a very mild winter this year, and the pussywillows are earlier than usual.  It is a real boost to the spirits to see them fuzzing the trees and see the little grey colonies of catkins peeping out from their usual hiding places this early.

You would think that pussywillows are just a flat surface--but I love the waviness of these.  I wish we'd have a dewy morning just to get a chance to get some dewdrops clinging!  Or some blue sky for contrast...catkins against grey sky aren't too exciting.

11 comments:

Penny said...

Pat, I've never seen the waviness before! I'll be looking at ours... if spring EVER comes here! It really does seem awfully early for them. Beautiful pics!

For Over 29 Years... said...

pat, that is so lovely. I would love that image!

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

I think we are getting all your winter weather. We have been snowed in several times this year. Today we allready have 18in and its still snowing.
What a pretty image, I have never seen the waviness in them either.

Lauren Hartman said...

Already? Ok, off to the arboretum I must get myself! Love the waviness you captured on these!

Yolanda said...

Gorgeous photo's! I'm sooo ready for spring.

Nicki said...

Our winter has been WET. You are probably used to that --- we're getting used to it. Love these shots - and I'm going to have to check out the pussywillows when they bloom and look for the weave.

Denita said...

Proof that Spring is indeed just around the corner! Lovely shots, Pat!

Reds said...

Beautiful - never noticed either how wavy they were!

Suzy said...

Very pretty, so fuzzy and makes me excited for spring!

Joanne said...

Oh I love pussy willows! Great shots!

Cheryl said...

I love pussy willow, it reminds me of my childhood.
Great focus and DOF on these.
Glad you are having a mild winter. :)