Saturday, January 30, 2010

Handmade story

When my mom was in high school in the 1920s she contracted rheumatic fever.  As a result, she had to stay home, in bed, for nearly a year.  She read, she did jigsaw puzzles, and crossword puzzles, and wrote letters, and did her school work.  Finally, her mother brought her some old dresses and blouses, and a cardboard template and scissors, and showed her how to make a quilt.  This is the result of her year in bed.  She pieced all the squares by hand, appliqueing down all the diamonds which she had cut from her and her mother's old dresses and blouses. Her mother pieced the top together, then showed my mother how to hand quilt the top.  Over the years some of the fabrics have just worn out...they were worn to begin with, and time has not been their friend.  I love the colors and the prints and the hodgepodge manner that the stars are pieced; there is no rhyme nor reason to how she put them together, no planned color arrangement, just whatever diamond she had at hand.  I am too much of a control freak in my quilting to do that, so every so often I have to take this quilt out and look at it to remind myself that randomness works.
The quilt is stained and as you can see below, some of the individual diamonds are falling apart.  I am concerned about washing it, even using conservation methods, because some of the fabrics are in such delicate condition.  I could cut the quilt apart and make a teddy bear out of the better sections, but I always feel like a heathen desecrating a shrine whenever I cut apart an old quilt to reuse it.  I wonder about the fabrics--who wore which one?  What kind of dress was it?  I know that each of those stitches were made by a young teen-age girl, forced by illness to spend days and weeks and months in bed, in a chair, on a sofa, inactive, when everyone else around her was enjoying life to its fullest.  Every stitch tells me a story.

11 comments:

Kim said...

The quilt is beautiful and the story behind it...touching! I wouldn't be able to cut it apart, either. Do you have photos of your mom when she was a girl? Do you recognize any of the prints? :) That is really cool!

Reds said...

What a sweet story and what a gorgeous quilt!! Would love to learn to quilt - so beautiful!

Wingnut said...

Wow! That's an amazing story and I too would find it hard to attempt any "reuse" project from it.

Penny said...

What a treasure you have here, Pat. I am in the same boat myself. My grandmother and mother were both quilters and I have inherited many of their quilts. I want so badly to preserve them but have no clue what to do with them. Some are well worn like yours... and more precious because of it. Thanks for sharing yours with us!

Nicki said...

I love it - and the story behind it makes it even more beautiful. I had scarlet fever as a child and was quarantined - not for as long as your mom - but enough that these many many years later I can still remember watching the neighboring kids playing outside and I wasn't able to. Beautiful quilt and lovingly photographed.

MARCIE said...

What a lovely treasure! No teddy bear please! Just love it the way it is. It is an historical piece of your family!

Cheryl said...

Pat, that quilt and the story behind it is a priceless treasure. I imagine that you have the story of the quilt written down so that future generations will know of it.
I wonder what she was thinking as she sat there hand stitching, was she remembering a much loved dress and the memories it brought back. I have my grandmother's wedding dress that was all handmade and like your quilt the fabric is so very fragile.

Sharon said...

I love it! Um.. what about staining it more with tea? ;)

Meaghan said...

It's beautiful and what a treasure. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Yolanda said...

Great photo with a great story!

GIJaneDoe said...

What a lovely story! I have no advice for the preserving the quilt, but I would have trouble trying to reuse it.

Good luck!

God Bless,
~dee