Dodged that one! The night before last we had high winds through here--gusts up to 70 mph. When I woke up in the morning, the 30' pine beside the driveway had been topped--the top of it was sheared right off by the wind gusts. Fortunately it fell to the side, not in the road or across the driveway. At least 6' of top was snapped off. I am SOO grateful that it was that tree, and not one of the Doug firs around the house--those bad boys are 120' or so, and even a big limb coming down on the house can do significant damage. There are always stories in the news every year about a tree coming down on a house and killing the occupants. So, I am grateful that it was just 6' from the top of a tree by the driveway...
And no wonder it snapped! The way the trunk had twisted (thanks to the winds, I think) and those branches formed, the trunk was weakened in that particular spot, and all it took was some driving, twisting winds to snap it.Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



10 comments:
Small blessings can make the biggest different. That is one twisted trunk - and those are some serious winds. Glad all is okay, and now you have some firewood (provided you get someone to chop it up).
Wow that is crazy! Glad it didn't do any damage!
WOW! Amazing what nature can do...
That tree trunk is crazy looking! I'm glad it didn't hit you guys though because it looks like it would have done major damage!
Glad to hear no one was hurt!
Wow, you were lucky! Glad nobody and nothing was hurt. My parents lived in a house with huge trees like that for 30 years and had trees and limbs fall on cars (almost shearing one in half!) and on their driveway, but thankfully never on the house. But each time they had a bad storm, they braced for the worst.
Crazy weather so far this winter. Glad you're safe, Pat!! You've had some great posts recently... have really enjoyed them! :)
Uh wow. I am glad that did not fall anywhere near you. When the winds get blowing here I worry about our tall pines to.
Phew! That was close, we had to cut a huge pine down from my backyard since I was always so worried about it falling on my house.
I'm glad it didn't cause any damage!
Now that's a lot of wind! Glad nobody got hurt!
Post a Comment