Monday, January 17, 2011

High Water

Our cold snap is over, with a vengeance.  I caught this before the warmer weather and all the rain hit.

But the rain!  Ok, I am grateful it is just rain; if it were snow, we would have about 4 1/2' this month.  We've gotten over 4" of rain since Friday, and the rivers are rushing high and wide.  Flood warnings out all over; we nearly cancelled church yesterday since half our parking lot was flooded, and there are several families in the ward who live in the flood zones.  We had church though, and those families who were at risk of being unable to return home if the rivers got too high had the option to stay home.  They did.  It's no fun being stuck on the wrong side of the flood.

In the meantime, Snoqualmie Falls is in full spate.  I hopped over today during a lull in the rain to grab a couple of shots.  There is so much water coming over the Falls so quickly that there are immense clouds of mist kicked up, and half the time you can't even see the Falls. From where I took these photos, the mist was so thick that it might as well have been rain--hard rain at that.  I was soaked in 10 minutes, but it sure was fun.

6 comments:

Nicki said...

Wow - those falls are intimidating. Your capture of the melting icicle is perfect. This has been a very bad flood season so far everywhere. Normally we don't encounter flood season until closer to Spring, but we've even had to keep an eye on it.

Have you heard anything from Lauren? I thought of her and her family over Christmas and hope everything is okay. I miss her presence on 2Peas - and pictures of the cute little girl that would visit.

Samantha said...

That icicle shot is amazing. And those falls! Wow! We don't have many natural wonders like that around here, and I miss them. (Well, there's that little thing called the Pacific Ocean, but...)

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Those falls are spectacular. I hope you live safe from the flood zone.

Reds said...

That first shot is absolute perfection! I would totally hang it on my wall!

Reds said...

That first shot is absolute perfection! I would totally hang it on my wall!

Leilani said...

Almost exactly the same weather as over here. It hasn't stopped raining for about a week.
Beautiful shots of the waterfall. I wish we had something like that near us in England.