I went over to the Falls early this morning and about froze my fingers off, but it was worth it. The cold weather recently has really decorated the Falls. Since winter weather around here is usually in the 40s, with occasional forays into the 30s, the sub-freezing weather this week has really been unusual, and the base of the Falls is thick with icicle formations. The early sun was shining through the mist, and I loved this shot. There was something about the combination of the warmth of the light at the top and the way it reflected off the logs at the top of the falls, and the cold light and ice at the bottom of the falls. Two extremes in one shot for me.
Another angle, slightly different, and tried it in B&W to get a starker look.
Then the color version...
Zoomed in on the ice formation in the shadow of the falls. Yep, they are that blue! Baby, it's cold outside! (Listen, can you hear Angela laughing? I know, 17 is a heat wave to her!)
This was a little later this afternoon, with the late sun shining across the gorge, hitting the wall and turning it that lovely warm color to contrast with all the cool colors there. Hated to center the falls, but there was only one place to stand and if I wanted to get the Lodge and the pool at the bottom of the falls, there was only one place for the falls to be---dead center.
12 comments:
Oh wow! Excellent shots! I love the icicles.
The ice formation photos are really cool! It looks like it is so cold there! We are just now starting to get snow (2 Snow Days in a row...). Love your photos!
Just beautiful!! Love ice formations. This this I like the B&W version the best, but they are all beautiful.
Absolutely AMAZING!! wow...can't even imagine having something that beautiful here! Love the light in the first shot!
Loving the morning colors. And that blue is so cool.
I am awestruck! Who needs Christmas decorations when the world is graced with this kind of beauty?
These are so cool! I love the ice formations...
These are breath-taking! Absolutely beautiful work!
Fantastic photo's! The color is amazing.
Gorgeous blue ice shots. Bonus points to you for venturing out to capture them.
Oh my gosh that first shot is just heavenly! WOW!
I often wonder at what temperature do falls completely freeze up as the force of water is so strong. I adore your brave of the cold to get these compelling photos to share with us. Thank you!
Post a Comment