Love looking for shells at the beach. It's hard to find a complete one--between the rocks and wave action, and gulls (who drop the shells on the rocks to break them open) an unbroken one is a treasure. But, even broken they are beautiful. I don't know what type of shell this is, but I love the spiral at the top...

...and the way the color blends and bleeds in layers down the interior of the shell.
A mussel shell---they are ubiquitous. I love the blue showing through at the base of this one.
These are my favorites! They are Purple Mahogany Clams, also known as Varnish Clams or Savory Clams. They have come down from British Columbia and are considered to be an invasive species, but they are so beautiful I can forgive them.
In one of the tidal pools we spotted a live sand dollar. I've seen the brownish varieties, but I've never see one this shade of deep purple. Amazing!
...and barnacles. Barnacles are EVERYWHERE; they are on pilings, on rocks, on other shells, on drift logs. If something stops moving long enough, barnacles start growing. But--I love the lacy patterns that they make on the rocks.
I've never seen one like this, where the barnacle "prints" have that lovely blue-ish hue to them. This rock even had a fringe of barnacles starting.







2 comments:
From these pictures I'd say you spend a lot of your beach time, as I do, looking down (and occasionally walking into people or things) because you are so busy examining what is at your feet.
I've never seen a purple sand dollar like that either. Great capture.
The purple clam shells and silver dollar are so pretty they look like they should be mounted as a pendant. No matter how many seashells I collect, I manage to accumulate more each visit to the beach - they are so intriguing.
Post a Comment