The Point Betsie light is one of the most-photographed lighthouses in Michigan. It sits on a dune above Lake Michigan, and marks the southern end of the Manitou Passage, between the Manitou Islands and the western shore of Michigan. Used by ships to save 50 miles in travel, and to avoid storms, it was also hazardous--there are 16 known diveable shipwrecks and a history of nearly 150 ships that went down in the passage. It was built from 1854-1858, and started operating at the beginning of shipping season in 1859. In the 1870s a life-saving station was added, and it was one of the earliest of those on Lake Michigan.
I've seen photos from this viewpoint in the winter, when so incredibly brave (or foolhardy) photog got out there to shoot from this angle. The slope is completely covered in snow and ice, and each of the raised blocks have icicles hanging almost horizontally due to the winds off the Big Lake. I'm just fine with seeing it in the summer, thank you.
And yes, Lake Michigan truly is this color along the shore here. It was stunningly turquoise--nearly tropical in its shade.






3 comments:
So hard to believe that the water is that color - absolutely beautiful lighthouse and wonderfully photographed; really like the shot with the driftwood.
That water looks like some of Tahoe. Great shots, and I would be one of the brave/foolish out getting that winter shot - now you know I'm not all that smart sometimes.
I came by to browse your blog and OMGosh!! You've been home to Michigan! And such great shots you've gotten. I could seriously go on and on about each and every pic! You are amazing, Pat. Finding something special everywhere you look. Thanks for sharing your shots and inspiring us all!
Post a Comment