This is the Ludington light, MY light that I grew up listening to as a child. Our house was 3 blocks from the lake, and on foggy nights I could hear the foghorn signaling over the waters. It was such a comforting sound, and I still love the sound of a foghorn.
My grandfather, who lived with us for several years, was an avid fisherman, and he would get up early and come down to the breakwater and fish for lake perch. I spent many happy hours with him there, dangling my feet over the edge and watching him pull in our evening dinner.
Yes, this lighthouse has a definite lean to it also. In 1992 the base under the concrete settled a little, giving the light a slight tilt to the northeast. The Army Corps of Engineers deemed it still safe, so the light continues to mark the harbor entrance. Built in 1924 to replace the South Pierhead light, it is 57' tall, and in the winter storms the waves can completely engulf and break over the top of it. The base is shaped like the prow of a ship to help deflect the storm surges. I love the porthole windows.Just before sunset, when the golden glow paints the side of the lighthouse... People walk out to the end of the breakwater each evening to watch the sunset from there. Either on the pier, or on the beach, it's the best show in town.
The breakwater is 1/2 mile out to the lighthouse. Perfect for an evening stroll...




3 comments:
What a wonderful memory and a neat lighthouse. It really does look like looking towards the bow of a ship. Beautiful captures.
What great memories and a nice looking light.
So sweet that you spent some time with your grandfather fishing on the pier! Beautiful memories!
Post a Comment