Wednesday, July 11, 2012

barns redux

Remember the old song from the 60s that went "sign, sign, everywhere a sign..."?  Well, that's what the backroads were like for us, except it was "barns, barns, everywhere a barn", to our delight.

There were fancy white barns, some with one cupola
 and others with two, and adorable mama bear and baby bear outbuildings...
 There were barns where people were feeling patriotic...
 ...and red barns galore

 This one was even helpfully labelled in case we couldn't tell what color it was...


This barn has been restored and brought back to its former glory, and was one of the featured barns in the Barns and Byways tour in 2008.  It has been in the same family for generations, and the owner's son-in-law was kind enough to let us prowl the property.

I love the old gas pump out in front.  Even though it is no longer in use, it calls to mind days when the farmers had their own gas on hand.
 One side of the barn is lined with all these windows.  We were told that the original owner, who built the barn, felt that cows that could see out were happy cows, so each stall had a window at the end.  I don't know about the cows, but if I had a prime sunset view every night like these windows do, I would be one happy camper!!
 Oh, the stories this gas pump could tell....

 If I had to come up with a title for this one, it would be "Out To Pasture".  It evidently didn't make it to the gas pump on the other side of the barn.  Bet this old beauty has a lot of stories, too.

4 comments:

Nicki said...

These are so wonderful and your commentary as well. My friend growing up had a gas pump on their farm (actually her father's farm - parents were divorced) and it was a big deal for her to sneak some gas. My father, on the other hand, owned gas stations - so I couldn't appreciate the big deal at the time. I love the story about the windows for the cows - pretty cool.

periwinkle eye images said...

Oh, well done! I love your photos, and looking at how you placed them and reading your comments make me feel I am seeing them for the first time, even though I have similar pics! Refreshing!

Kerry said...

I love the barns! I'm always looking for old ones to shoot. Looks like I should come out your way. :) Really cool old car too.

Reds said...

Love the old barns!! and that car - wow!