This is "my" other lighthouse. Situated on Big Point Sable in the Ludington State Park, it is probably my very favorite, ever since I was a kid. Part of the charm in the location, at the northern end of the park. You can't drive there--you can ride a bike or hike a hard-packed dirt road used by the lighthouse volunteers...a short 1 1/2 mile stroll. You can walk along the shoreline about the same distance. I like to take the road up and walk the shore, wading the entire distance, back to the parking area. If you are feeling really robust, the lighthouse can also be reached by other trails from within the park itself--those are 3 or more miles long--and I've done those, too. Any way you reach it, it's well worth the effort.
The light was built in 1867, and stands 112' high--one of the few lights on the Great Lakes to stand that tall. It is still an operating light, and was the last light on the Great Lakes to get electricity--in the 1940s. Up until then, it was the old wick and lens.
Sometimes, you just have to get out in the water to get the right shot... Thanks, ML!





4 comments:
It just looks so peaceful there. Way to go out of the way for the shot you want.
I feel like I've had my own wonderful lighthouse vacation through your photos - probably the only type of vacation I'll be getting this summer, but is has been a good one! I'm in the water for shots all the time - usually in the river, and I can vouch that it is helpful that you are willing to do that.
Love all your angles and compositions. I love lighthouses too. These are just amazing, and look at you!! I would love to wade in that water with you.
What a beautiful lighthouse!! I would totally get in the water too to get a nice shot!!
Post a Comment