Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Westport Harbor and Marina, and the Dock Boys

All sizes of fishing boats go in and out of Westport...small ones like this, big charter boats, and the even-larger commercial fishing trawlers.  No matter the size of the boat, each come with an escort of opportunistic gulls and pelicans, waiting for something, anything, to come loose.  By the time this one made dock there were so many gulls on the dinghy and pile of nets that they sat side-by-side, wing-to-wing.
 This walkway has been built over the harbor, from one of the docks out to the seawall.  It was really fun to stand there and watch the boats and pelicans.  While we were up there we heard a sea lion, so off we went, searching along the docks and among the boats to see if we could find it.
 And there he was, popping up to see what was going on.  Impressive set of whiskers, don't you think? 
 Not only that, he had a friend along with him!
 This big bull and his companion were so loud you could hear them all over the marina.  They made sure that any of the other sea lions knew that they had staked out this particular section of dock.  We made sure that we didn't get too close.  They may look awkward, but they are pretty fast.
 Basking and showing those noble stances...  I understand the need to soak up the sun!
Hail, hail, the gang's all here...in fact, one couldn't even find room on the dock to join in the fun.  I laughed out loud to see the one sea lion sticking his head into the boat, hoping there was something to eat there!

5 comments:

Susan Beth said...

Looks like a beautiful day. I love the red of the dingy in the first photo - really makes it look festive! And sea lions are a hoot to watch! I miss living near the coast!

Dave French said...

LOL- These are rad mom, per usual. Those noble stances remind me of Roma when she tries to look all regal.

Nicki said...

I love the 'hail, hail, the gang's all here' - too funny. What a wonderful day to be out taking pictures.

My 365 Project said...

I think my fav is the boat picture but I sure did enjoy the sealion show :)

periwinkle eye images said...

These are beautiful examples of our being paparazzi on the boardwalk! I love your seal examples, and also that you took a pic of the boardwalk by itself.