When we were at WDW, I went on an extra-curricular excursion that I had signed up for several months in advance. Animal Kingdom now offers (for an additional fee, of course) a 3-hour guided hike/jeep safari through some of the back areas of the wild animal park. The groups are limited to 12, and the guides are very knowledgeable and you can ask questions until you can't think of any more. We hiked along the river, past the hippo pool and then over the Nile crocs, and ended up in our own safari jeep. We would scoot in and out of the tour groups, pull over on the side of the road to observe the animals, take little side roads that the tour didn't take, and stopped at a boma (a safari camp) for a lunch break. After that, more jeep touring and animal watching. I took the tour for the hike and for the opportunity to take photos, and I was not disappointed. Great experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat!
We had to cross two rope suspension bridges during the hike--they went over the hippo pool and the croc pool. I am NOT a fan of heights, but we were outfitted with vests that had a safety line on the back, which attached to the overhead cables. Plus, the sides of the bridges were quite high, and there was netting on the sides and below. You could NOT fall--it just looked and felt that way. The strategically missing slats, and the "broken" slats made it tricky for someone like me who has short legs--some of those gaps were quite a stretch. It was scary going directly over the crocs, especially with the bridge bouncing because someone was coming behind me, but it was still a lot of fun.
What a ham, smiling for the camera. Did you know that a group of hippos is a bloat....as in a bloat of hippos? How appropriate!!!
At the croc pool we hooked our safety lines up to a metal track, and were able to lean out over the edge of the cliff to look down on the crocs. Yes, I did.
Two species of giraffe--the 2 smaller ones are reticulated giraffes, and the larger one is a Masai giraffe. They were all really curious and got quite close to our jeep.
From his expression, I don't think he particularly liked breakfast.....
Lunch at the boma came in a 2-layer tin. Each layer contained food. We had melon balls and brie, yogurt with cranberries, smoked salmon with dilled cream cheese, proscuitto, air-dried beef, pita rounds, jicama and cucumber salad, and a delicious apricot nut bar. Add to that a mango-passion fruit drink and it was a delicious meal. Even the orchid was edible (slight grassy aftertaste...) It was really fun to sit in the shade at the boma, eat this delicious meal and watch the animals out on the "veldt".






13 comments:
MOM!!!! These are AWESOME! I love your animal pics... Especially like the Gorilla. Might have to do a animal calendar next year.....
Yes, I have seen the great pics,(and I thank you for the personal Show-'n-Tell") but I love visiting your blog, not only for the photos, but for the narrative too! Great job in your posting selections!
YOU hung out over the crocks - :) Well, I'm not surprised. Your pictures are delightful. Our last visit the giraffe practically got in the jeep.
What a great side adventure Pat. I would love to do that to, although the suspension bridge looks a little sketchy ;)
love the hippo, nice of him to pose for you, and the elephants ...amazing
I'm so glad that you went on this trip....I'm sure that R was smiling over you the whole time
Shan
love this post. this looks awsome!
What a great place for photography , Pat and I love the one of you. That suspension bridge would make me nervous with all those gaps even though there appears to be a safety net underneath.
Pat - The bridge would have terrified me. I have a problem with my balance and I'm not sure I could have done that.
I went on a safari to South Africa in 2002 and I have to say that you got some better photos.
Laurie
(laulley 2Peas)
Wow! Very neat photos! It looks like a great time! And very funny on the bloat of hippos!
Awesome adventure photos!
I especially loved the gorilla . . . almost looks like he had lunch with you.
What a wonderful opportuity.
Looks like so much fun Pat and the photos are amazing! I have missed seeing your photos. Life has been so hectic. I love it in ways, but I will be happy for a bit slower pace once the little ones get a bit older!
Oh, Pat, what an adventure! Love all the fun places you go... even to the nursery. Just look at all the cool shots you get. I may have to try the nursery... if and when we ever get any warm weather here!! I don't know how on earth you made it over that bridge! Those planks had to be some long stretches for you! Love visiting your blog. Never know what I'm going to find! :) And I am never disappointed!!
What great photos! That looks like an awesome adventure! And I loved the race photos. I had no idea they did that kind of race there. Good for that daughter of yours! What fun and what an accomplishment!
Post a Comment